Thursday, July 14, 2011

Bopping Around

Cloudy this morning and then----RAIN!

After a month of hotter-than-the-surface-of-the-sun days in Oklahoma, my mind was confused at first. "What is water...falling...from sky? Why is...air pleasant...and refreshing?"

I walked down to the Trafik to buy public transportation tickets, my umbrella held at a jaunty angle. After about ten minutes the rain, she stopped. The umbrella went back into the bag and didn't come out again, but even after the sun emerged and the water evaporated, a nice breeze remained and it felt like Spring. I'd guess it was about 80 degrees F.

I got on a streetcar, rode a few stops, then got off and walked around. I was trying to get some street photos and that's what I concentrated on today, trying to sneak pictures of people being themselves. You gotta be kind of sneaky.

I hopped on and off several streetcars looking for pictures. Must have walked a couple of miles.

As always, click on any pic to bigify / enlargenate.

Cubes of painted concrete. If you have to stop truck bombs, at least make the barriers purty.
I like these kind of buildings, but not the streetcar wires that ruin the photo.
Here's something you almost never see [cough, cough]:
a woman unleashing a tsunami of jibber-jabber, 
the man wishing he could pour 80 pounds of instant-dry cement into his ears.

Something else you almost never see:
a woman wondering if her man will at least look at her.
Stenciled graffiti. Anyone know who this is?

This sort of sight is getting rare. Most people buy from supermarkets.
Summertime sidewalk cafe girl talk.

I'd estimate these roofs are at least 5 years old, if not older.
Even here you don't see many of these.
It's basically an enclosed trike with a tiny engine, steered by handlebars.
I wouldn't mind having one. I bet it gets 73,912 miles per gallon.

B comes home tonight from several days of work in Brussels. We look forward to seeing each other again after four months apart.

5 comments:

patrizia said...

Ah! Now I get to comment in your blog.

It is interesting how super emporiums of all sorts are superceding smaller shops. Economies of scale, and all of that, I suppose, although for me at least the tradeoff is clear: You get convenience but you sacrifice quality.

By the way, I think your time in Vienna will overlap with my son Robin's. His uncle lives there. You and your wife would like Robin's uncle, I think.

Anonymous said...

Stenciled graffiti--best guess, Phillip Glass on a bad hair day. Hope you enjoy the weather because its hotter than freaking hell here. Miss you, have fun! Say hey to B.

The "other" Patrizia in OK

John X said...

Huh. A piece of spoiled meat, surrounded by two Patrizias.

A John X sandwich.

NY Patrizia, when Robin comes tell him to contact me if he wants; I'll shoot you my local # via normal email channels and he can call if he wants.

OKC Patrizia, I have to do some research on the graffiti---you might be right. I know I've seen this guy's image before...he reminds me of Christopher Lloyd (Reverend Jim.) I think he's a literary figure of some sort. I looked up Kafka---nope. Then Mahler (Austrian composer.) Nope.

Until he's positively ID'd he's just Some Guy.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see the blog back up. I can only check it weekly (at the library) so I'll always be "a day late" etc. But check I will.

My guess on the stencil would be the middle--and almost forgotten-- Stooge, Larry. Like Rodney D, he just "gets no respect".

My GAWD, it's HOT here man, you picked a VERY good time to get the hell out of here!!!

New job's going well, but it seems that todays kids pop out of the womb already being techno-wizzed out already-pretty steep learning curve for this old dog.

Enjoy your stay brother!
Peace...
Will.

Anonymous said...

Did you know...there is a film coming out about the 3 Stooges--currently filming with the guy from Will and Grace (the funny one--Sean something)? You may have to Google for more details.
Also, overheard yesterday at the nail salon...film is wrapping here in OKC--"Yellow" w/ Sienna Miller, Ray Liotta, Melanie Griffith--shot in Nichols Hills and Norman--the moral of the story...nothing happens until you leave. I, myself, am happily West Coast bound... P in OK