Thursday, July 14, 2011

Back Again #16

Arrived on time at 8:15 local time. Sunny skies, but already warm that early.

It ain't Oklahoma-hot, but it later got to about 90 or so. No air conditioning here, so there's that.

I was groggy. No sleep on the flight from DC to Vienna, thanks to a contingent of screaming (not just crying, but fucking screaming) babies in our section of the plane, who took turns keeping all the adults---not just their parents!---from getting a night of semi-restful airplane sleep.

Well, hell. At least at the end of it, I found myself in Vienna. I could have been flying to Bovina, Texas.

---

B's dad picked me up at the airport and drove me to his place. B's mom surprised and delighted me, having prepared a care package of 1) the great local bread 2) fresh apricots 3) homemade potato salad, and 4) her world-class schnitzel.

They drove me to B's place. And where, you ask, was B? In Brussels working, but she'll be home today and we'll have a nice reunion. Four months apart this time...

---

It kind of shocks me that this place seems so familiar, but by my count this is my 16th visit here, the last two being of five weeks, then nine weeks, duration. This will be an 11-weeker, so I guess it's no surprise Vienna is feeling like home...

I was too wasted to do anything but spend my first day here sleeping, watching TV, eating, drinking, and sleeping again.

But I did stumble upon this crazy Austrian. And I thought all the eccentrics live in America.

No comments: