Monday, August 1, 2011

First Day of School

Up at 7 (!), out the door at 8:40. A bus ride, a subway ride, another subway ride, and then a short walk to the school, and I was standing in front of the classroom by 9:15. Which gave me fifteen minutes to size up my fellow "German as a 2nd language, beginning level" students as they stood around like me, waiting for the teacher to show up and unlock the door.

The teacher spoke only German ("You vill experience FULL IMMERSION!") but most of us got the gist. There were handouts with pictures on them, and lots of reciting the alphabet and simple words aloud together as a group, then separately aloud in front of the others, and some partnering up where you and the partner would ask each other a question in German like, "How are you, Darek?" and he'd answer back, "I am fine, John, thank you. And you?" in front of the class.

I thought I'd be the oldest guy there, but there were three other guys my age or older. One, a Pole, sat next to me. A nice guy. His German is about like mine, so we talked a bit to each other.

In our class we had a guy from Brazil, his girlfriend, a guy from Gambia, a woman from the Congo, a guy from Afghanistan, a guy from Canada (fellow English speaker!), a woman from the Czech Republic, and a few other people whose homelands I didn't catch.

Class stopped at 12:30, so I bounced down the stairs like I did decades ago when school was finished, and when I flung the door open I saw (what else?) rain

One class down, fourteen more to go.
---
Back home, then B and I drove to the big shopping center. I don't know the name of this monstrosity, but they have a lot of big box stores. We went to Ikea looking for a light to replace one B bought there years ago, which had finally failed.

Didn't find a replacement, but we found every family in Vienna who was sick of being cooped up in the house with their kids because of this fucking rain that keeps them from enjoying a normal Viennese summer outdoors. So they loaded up the kids and took them to Ikea, so we could enjoy them. The place was jam-packed with people. It was like Christmas, in that way that Christmas has of being like a scene from hell.

Trying to squeeze past the crowds and the wailing children, I thought of my friend S. back home who loves screaming children, and how I wish she could have enjoyed this scene with us. I imagined the book she'd write: INFANTICIDE IN VIENNA, by S., (She Who Done The Killin'.)

A trip to the big-box building supply store, another trip to the big-box supermarket, and another to another big-box building supply store, and our nerves were shot. It was like being in a gigantic mall in America.

I made chili for supper, cooking it a long time so the flavors all mingled well.

And wished I had about ten screaming kids sitting at the table with me as I sipped my wine.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it that you think of me when hell sounds like screaming kids. And yes, someone has to write the book that will satisfy many childless people who endure others' egomaniacal need to breed and populate the world with their screaming wild ass genes. I would however, trade one hour of hell kids for an hour of rain. It's 106F+ for the next week here and the tension is high, too. I come to work and get through the screaming kids for my salary 5 days a week. I'd do it for precipitation. I'm boning up on my Spanish due to the invasion here.
Notes from the Children's Hospital in the neo Dust Bowl--Soartstar

mod said...

Forecast tomorrow in OKC:

113 Degrees (KFOR)
106 Degrees (KOCO)
112 Degrees (KWTV)
110 Degrees (NOAA)
112 Degrees (weather.com)

Humidity today was 16%. It's the heat. Don't buy the "it's the humidity" Bullshit.

:)

John X said...

Soartstar and Mod:

I hate the weather you're having, and I wonder about gigantic cracks appearing in my yard, big enough to swallow the house...

No kidding, I think if I was spending the summer there I'd awaken about 3 AM, do whatever I was going to do until about 10, then stay inside the rest of the day. Buy a headlamp to work in the garden by, etc.

It's insane.

Michela said...

Are you channeling Herr Krause?

John X said...

Michela, Herr Krause has been reincarnated as a woman from Kyrgistan; she's our teacher.

Actually, now that I'm an "adult," I kind of feel sorry for poor Herr Krause (who was our German teacher back when Michela and I were kids. German teacher in that he taught German, and WAS German.)

Poor bastard, having to put up with the likes of us...