Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Cats of Oia

Monday, our first night here, we were visited by a very friendly, very vocal cat.

She had a purr like a Harley-Davidson at idle, and she arched her back and quivered her tail and rubbed against us and meowed. So B poured her a saucer of milk.

Soon there were four cats on the terrace. None of them look as if they\re starving.

Tuesday morning I woke up and went out on the terrace. Before I could even open the door I heard our new friend's purr-box rumbling and a few chattered "Meow!"s.

Today, Wednesday, I woke up and B wasn't in bed. I went out on the terrace and saw the cat lapping at a saucer of milk, B looking out toward the caldera, all covered in fog, the sun not yet risen over the cliff east of us. Cat, woman, ocean, fog----a Zen painting.

I've taken a lot of pictures of the cat, and this one isn't the best, but here she is:

The queen of Oia.

 She oversees her kingdom, which is vast.
Photo by B.
 She expects food after already getting some.
Which makes her more cat than queen.

No comments: